Jonathan Harris CBE FRICS is a qualified chartered surveyor and past President of the RICS. A businessman and entrepreneur, Jonathan’s career has been enriched by his involvement in a variety of fields. In particular, he has a passion for further education and lifelong learning.
Jonathan’s experience in the commercial property sector spans over fifty years, including being Senior Partner of a highly successful London-based practice and President of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) in its millennium year. In 2002, Jonathan was awarded a CBE for his services to surveying.
Jonathan is Founder, Chairman and a Trustee of the Harris Foundation for Lifelong Learning (originally the Continuing Professional Development Foundation) and he also founded the Institute of Continuing Professional Development. His career has included being a University Governor and a Trustee & Chairman of the Enterprise Education Trust. In 1993, he was awarded an OBE for his services to further education.
Chairman & Trustee, The Harris Foundation for Lifelong Learning
Member of Advisory Council, The London Philharmonic Orchestra
Chairman, Cressida Group of Companies
Vice-Patron, Commonwealth Housing Trust
Vice Chair of the European Chapter, Counselors of Real Estate, USA (CRE)
Previous appointments include:
- Babraham Bioscience Technologies Limited, Non-Executive Director
- Bank of England Property Forum, Member
- Cardinal Group of Companies, Director
- Carlisle Group, Director
- Council for Excellent in Management & Leadership (Professions Working Group)
- Eatonbrook plc, Non-Executive Director/Chairman
- Employment Resource Centre, Chairman of Trustees
- Enterprise Education Trust (formerly Understanding Industry, formerly Business Dynamics), Trustee
- Grendon Trust, Director
- Kent County Council, Total Place Asset Management Board, Chair
- Langbourn Income & Growth Property Unit Trust, Board Member
- Lazard Property Unit Trust, Board Member
- Manor Lodge School, Trustee
- Modernising Stamp Duty, Inland Revenue – Member of Technical Advisory Group
- Pepper Angliss & Yarwood, Senior Partner
- Plymouth Development Corporation, Non-Executive Board Member
- Prison Reform Trust, Trustee & Treasurer
- Property Growth Assurance Company, Director
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), President, 2000/2001
- Sackville Property Unit Trust, Board Member
- The London Philharmonic Orchestra Audit Committee, Chairman
- The London Philharmonic Orchestra, Director & Trustee
- The University of Westminster, Governor
- UNECE Real Estate Marketing Group, Member
- UN Real Estate Advisory Group, Deputy Chairman
- University of Reading, Visiting Fellow
- Work-Life Balance Trust, Chairman
Honours and awards:
1993 – Appointed an OBE for Services to Further Education
1998 – Awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Westminster, DLitt (Hon)
2002 – Appointed a CBE for Services to Surveying
2004 – Careers Research & Advisory Centre’s 40th Anniversary recognition award to outstanding individuals for contributions in the field of lifelong learning
2009 – Awarded the James Landauer/John White award from the Counselors of Real Estate. Given to individuals in international real estate who excel in their profession.
Jonathan is married to Jeniffer (née Fass). They have 4 children – Lynne, Joanne, Katie and Matthew – 10 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild.
Jonathan used to play golf – his lowest handicap was 7. Now his main hobby is competitive duplicate bridge.
He has supported the London Philharmonic Orchestra for many years – as a Trustee, Director and Chair of its Audit committee – and is now a member of its Advisory Council. It is one of the world’s leading orchestras – resident at the South Bank Centre in London.
Jonathan is a member of Bucks Club and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts – FRSA. He is a member of the Royal Thames Yacht Club and the Yacht Club of Monaco. He is also founder member of the Worshipful Company of Chartered Surveyors and a liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Basketmakers.